Textilní škola - Q. menu Information about the school Textile Crafts in Clothes Design Conservation and Restoration of Textiles Studio of Interior Design Studio of Textile design Studio of New Media Studio of Fashion Design

School Art Collection

tradition

Longstanding creation of the school art collection cannot be thought of apart from the history of the school history itself. The oldest date from which the tuition of textile crafts is unwinding is the year 1767, when the Empress Marie Therese founded the first lace school. In 1879 the Central Lace Course (k. k. Zentral-Spitzenkurs) was established in Vienna as an institution which joined all then existing lace schools in Austria-Hungary, though the most important date in the history of our school is the year 1919 when the State School Institute for Home Industry was established. It took over 26 lace schools with 2,181 girl students and 3 embroidery schools with 90 students. State basket-making and toy-making schools, as well as other vocational schools were subsequently taken over and put under its custody. Almost right from the beginning of its existence the institute got over a leading art personality – Emilie Paličková who had been active there from 1919 till 1946, when she was summoned up to teach at the Academy of Applied Arts (now the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design), Prague. Very soon she came to emancipation of lace as a peculiar type of art. In her free, monumental compositions it is quite evident that she had never let her art sensibility to be tied up by then deeply-rooted and established image of intimate forms of lace-making techniques; on the contrary, she had expanded and evolved into modern individual expression. She achieved a great success in 1925 in Paris, where at the International Exhibition of Decorative and Applied Arts the exposition of Czech vocational schools belonged to the most admired exhibits. The set of needle lace works with its monumental Sun was made by her students.

As from the year 1934, the other one of the most outstanding personalities – Božena Rothmayerová – had acted at the School Institute. She secured the lace an integral link with the mainstream of functionalistic applied art. The beginning of professional interest in restoration of historical textile is also connected with her name.

Qualities of teachers and artists helped the institute to overcome an uneasy period after the year 1948 not only without larger losses, but on the contrary, with certain gains. The level reached at the pre-war years had not been lost even in the following period. The post war history of the institute is above all characterised by the work and pedagogical tuition of Marie Broumová, Mirka Bradová, Milča Eremiášová, Bohumila Gruškovská, Marianna Horváthová, Alina Jašková, Hana Müllerová, Jarmila Nová, Vlasta Pivrncová-Přikrylová, Rudolf J. Richter, Anna Rosová, Vlasta Šolcová, Jarmila Trösterová, Jeroným H. Vítek and others.

The last period of the institute's history brought in also an extension of the forms of school preparation. The name of the institute was changed to the School Institute of Art Production, and besides its short term courses a new school was established in 1964: the Secondary Vocational Art and Craft School which, as from the year 1995, has been functioning under a new statute as Secondary Art School of Textile Crafts.

exhibits

A visit to the depositary may agree with the school management.

PRG a TX logo
© | Vyšší odborná škola textilních řemesel a Střední umělecká škola textilních řemesel Praha 1 U Půjčovny 9